Based on the recommendations of relevant departments and experts, as well as an online vote, the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) has picked its major achievements in scientific and technological innovation as well as in the transfer and commercialization of research findings in the first quarter of 2018.
The academy’s top five achievements in scientific and technological innovation in the first quarter are as follows:
1. China Spallation Neutron Source (CSNS) passes assessment and review
2. Success in stem cell and regenerative treatments for premature ovarian failure
3. “Molecular mechanism behind the formation of the high-yield and high-quality traits of rice and the design of its varieties” wins China’s top natural science award
4. Monkey cloning via somatic cell nuclear transfer marks a world-level breakthrough
5. Successful R&D and launch of four satellites for the BeiDou Navigation Satellite System
The top three achievements in the transfer and commercialization of research findings in the first quarter are:
1. Sixty-one Chinese airports equipped with the CAS-developed intelligent recognition systems to quicken security checks
2. Domestically developed materials for the storage and transport of nuclear fuels prove to be obviously superior to their foreign counterparts
3. New anti-cancer drug CYH33 has excellent performance in inhibiting the tumors mostly commonly seen in the Chinese people
A new online vote as part of the selection of the top achievements in scientific and technological innovation as well as in the transfer and commercialization of research findings in the second quarter will be launched in July, and you are welcome to take an active part in it!